Head Start's Broken Promise
This article chronicles some of the recent struggles Head Start has encountered in its quest for expansion and reauthorization. According to Besharov, many on the right side of the political spectrum believe that the program needs extensive reforms before it can continue to receive taxpayer money, while many on the left believe that an increase in funding and a rise in income eligibility are the keys to making Head Start a success. Besharov presents several facts which shed light on the real state of Head Start.
More About This Topic...
- Quotes on Head Start
- Head Start: Research Insufficient to Assess Program Impact
- College Degree Unnecessary
- Not Enough "Change" in the Stimulus Bill
- Head Start: The Inside Story of America's Most Successful Educational Experiment
- The Poverty of Preschool Promises: Saving Children and Money with the Early Education Tax Credit
- Head Start: A Tragic Waste of Money
- Costs Per Child for Early Childhood Education and Care: Comparing Head Start, CCDF Child Care, and Prekindergarten/Preschool Programs (2003/2004)
- Growing Overweight and Obesity in America: The Potential Role of Federal Nutrition Programs
- Cost Comparisons Between Head Start and Other Early Childhood Programs