"The Supreme Court's ruling on Thursday that a District of Columbia ban on handgun ownership is unconstitutional appears to be solidly in step with public opinion. A clear majority of the U.S. public -- 73% -- believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of Americans to own guns. And almost 7 out of 10 Americans are opposed to a law that...
Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America
"By 1990 there were approximately 200 million guns in private hands in the United States, and around half of American households contained a gun. Over 30,000 people a year are killed with guns in suicides, homicides, and accidents, and Americans use guns for defensive purposes over a million times a year. There is little doubt that gun violence and control are issues of vital importance, and they continue to inspire national debate. It is doubtful, however, whether most gun debates are worth listening to. Not surprisingly, such debates generally leave their participants exactly where they began, with their biases intact, and onlookers perplexed.
Written deliberately to counter an atmosphere of hysteria and extremism. Point Blank, now in paperback, offers logical argument supported by empirical information. It confronts fundamental questions head-on. On its initial publication in 1993, Point Blank won the Michael J. Hindelang Award of the American Society of Criminology for the book that 'made the most outstanding contribution to criminology.' Point Blank reports both original research and assesses existing evidence drawn from a wide variety of academic disciplines, including criminology, sociology, law, and medicine."
More About This Topic...
Click thumbnails below to view links
- Should the U.S. adopt Australia's strict gun laws?
- Guns and violence: The English experience
- Source of Firearms Possessed by Federal Prison Inmates, 1997
- States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death
- The Truth about "Second Amendment Remedies": How to Counter Insurrectionist Arguments
- State Firearm Death Rates, Ranked by Rate, 2006
- New York's 19th Gets the General Welfare Clause Right
- Check Out Our Most Popular Image ... Ever
- The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
- A Well-Regulated Militia: The Founding Fathers and the Origins of Gun Control in America