"There are two Affordable Care Acts. There's the legislation passed by Congress in 2009, and then there's the mythical Affordable Care Act – the perfidious 'government takeover' decried and demagogued by so many conservatives (and quite a few liberals). The former is quite popular, the latter gets decidedly mixed reviews."
Historical and Projected Medicaid Enrollment and Expenditures
"Total Medicaid expenditures (Federal and State expenditures combined) for medical assistance payments and administration are projected to grow 6.9 percent in FY 2010 to $404.9 billion and to reach $840.4 billion by FY 2019, increasing at an average rate of 8.3 percent per year over the next 10 years. … Federal government spending on Medicaid medical assistance payments and administration costs is projected to rise to $271.4 billion in FY 2010, or about 67 percent of total Medicaid benefit expenditures. Federal spending on Medicaid is projected to reach $512.9 billion by FY 2019, or about 61 percent of total spending. State Medicaid expenditures are projected to increase to $133.5 billion in FY 2010 and to reach $327.6 billion by FY 2019. The Affordable Care Act contains many Medicaid provisions, including a substantial increase in Medicaid eligibility beginning in 2014. These impacts are expected to have a significant influence on future Medicaid expenditure trends, and they are presented in more detail in the next section. Historical and projected Medicaid expenditures for medical assistance payments and administration are shown in table 3."
More About This Topic...
Click thumbnails below to view links
- Estimated effect of the Affordable Care Act on total national health spending
- Net Effect of Major Legislation on Medicare Spending
- Changes in Spending Under an Individual Mandate
- 2010 Actuarial Report On The Financial Outlook For Medicaid
- CBO Projections of Tax Increases in PPACA, 2013-2019 and Ten-Year Totals
- CBO Projections of New Spending Provisions in PPACA, 2013-2019 and Ten-Year Totals
- Does the Affordable Care Act ration Medicare?
- The List of the Obamacare Taxes
- California School District Percentage Change in Various Expenditures per Student vs. California Percentage Change in PCPI, FY 03-04 to FY 08-09
- Quotes on SCHIP (State Children's Health Insurance Program)