"There are two Affordable Care Acts. There's the legislation passed by Congress in 2009, and then there's the mythical Affordable Care Act – the perfidious 'government takeover' decried and demagogued by so many conservatives (and quite a few liberals). The former is quite popular, the latter gets decidedly mixed reviews."
The List of the Obamacare Taxes
"PPACA2 contains 18 separate tax increases that will cost taxpayers $503 billion between 2010 and 2019. ... Three major tax hikes make up nearly half of the new revenue raised by PPACA:
1. Section 1401 imposes a 40 percent excise tax on 'Cadillac' health insurance plans. This new tax will apply to health plans valued in excess of $10,200 for individuals and $27,500 for families. Those thresholds will grow annually by inflation plus 1 percent. The tax takes effect in 2018 and is projected to raise $32 billion by 2019.
2. Section 1411 increases the Medicare Hospital Insurance (HI) portion of the payroll tax. This provision will increase the employee’s portion from 1.45 percent to 2.35 percent for families making more than $250,000 a year (and for individuals making more than $200,000). Combined with the employer’s portion, the total rate will be 3.8 percent on every dollar of income over $250,000 when the tax hike takes effect in 2013.
3. Section 1411 also imposes a new payroll tax on investment. This tax provision applies the new higher 3.8 percent Medicare tax to investment income—including capital gains, dividends, rents, and royalties—and is scheduled to become effective in 2013. Together, the Medicare tax hikes will raise $210 billion between 2013 and 2019.
Table 1 lists all of the tax increases in PPACA."
More About This Topic...
Click thumbnails below to view links
- CBO Projections of Tax Increases in PPACA, 2013-2019 and Ten-Year Totals
- Estimated effect of the Affordable Care Act on total national health spending
- CBO Projections of New Spending Provisions in PPACA, 2013-2019 and Ten-Year Totals
- Historical and Projected Medicaid Enrollment and Expenditures
- Net Effect of Major Legislation on Medicare Spending
- Mississippi Total Individual Income Taxes Annual Change in Millions of Dollars
- Number of Uninsured under PPACA
- Obamacare: Impact on Seniors
- Total Spending under PPACA through 10 Years of Implementation
- Obamacare (Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act)