"There are two Affordable Care Acts. There's the legislation passed by Congress in 2009, and then there's the mythical Affordable Care Act – the perfidious 'government takeover' decried and demagogued by so many conservatives (and quite a few liberals). The former is quite popular, the latter gets decidedly mixed reviews."
Obamacare Tax Rates for Lower and Middle Income Families
"Two features of each bill would combine to impose punitive implicit tax rates on low-income Americans.
The first is an 'individual mandate,' which would force Americans to purchase health insurance whether they want it or not, under penalty of fines and/or imprisonment. President Obama's economic advisors and other Democratic economists acknowledge that the individual mandate is essentially a tax.
Each bill would require low- and middle-income Americans to pay an increasing percentage of their income toward health insurance. In so doing, the bills dispense with the heretofore universally accepted principle that marginal tax rates should only apply to income at the margin. As a result, the 'mandate tax' creates marginal rates as high as 53 percent — and that's for people making just $15,000 per year."
More About This Topic...
Click thumbnails below to view links
- Blame for the national debt
- Average Tax Rates for Selected Income Groups Under a Fixed Income Distribution
- SCHIP: Don’t Just Sink it, Reform it
- Quotes from the 2012 Obamacare Supreme Court Decision
- The Benefits of Prekindergarten for Middle-Income Children
- The importance of the individual mandate
- Quotes on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Keeping the Poor Poor: The Dark Side of the Living Wage
- Contemporary Quotes on Minimum and Living Wage
- SCHIP (State Children's Health Insurance Program)