Spalding traces the roots of American progressives to German thinkers who believed in the "Administrative State." Here, government is controlled by administrators and "experts," rather than officials elected to represent the people. Spalding also notes that the Founders and the progressives differed in their view of the Constitution. Progressives believed in a "...
U.S. Defense Spending, FY 1900 to FY 2012
This chart traces the growth of U.S. defense spending from fiscal year 1900 to fiscal year 2012. Aside from a small increase during World War I, defense spending was relatively flat until the 1940s. Following World War II, defense spending continued to climb, and has reached around $900 billion today.
More About This Topic...
- U.S. Welfare Spending, FY 1900 to FY 2012
- U.S. Health Care Spending, FY 1900 to FY 2012
- U.S. Transportation Spending, FY 1900 to FY 2012
- U.S. Education Spending, FY 1900 to FY 2012
- U.S. Pension Expenditures, FY 1900 to FY 2012
- Economy declined as government spending rose
- Pentagon Leaders: New Plan Would Cut U.S. Ground Forces By 100,000
- U.S. Natural Gas Marketed Production, 1900 to 2012
- Mississippi Welfare Spending, 1990 to 2022
- A National Debt FAQ