"Few people understand the real significance of Climategate, the now-famous hacking of emails from the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit (CRU). Most see the contents as demonstrating some arbitrary manipulating of various climate data sources in order to fit preconceived hypotheses (true), or as stonewalling and requesting colleagues to destroy emails to the United Nations...
Al Gore: Climate of Denial
"Admittedly, the contest over global warming is a challenge for the referee because it's a tag-team match, a real free-for-all. In one corner of the ring are Science and Reason. In the other corner: Poisonous Polluters and Right-wing Ideologues.
The referee — in this analogy, the news media — seems confused about whether he is in the news business or the entertainment business. Is he responsible for ensuring a fair match? Or is he part of the show, selling tickets and building the audience? The referee certainly seems distracted: by Donald Trump, Charlie Sheen, the latest reality show — the list of serial obsessions is too long to enumerate here.
But whatever the cause, the referee appears not to notice that the Polluters and Ideologues are trampling all over the 'rules' of democratic discourse."
More About This Topic...
- Reason.com - Topics: Labor
- The bashing of American exceptionalism
- Lobbying News - Reason.com
- Gore links climate change to Great Lakes problems
- Climate Change in the Classroom: Education or Indoctrination? Part 1: Why Al Gore Doesn’t Belong in the Classroom
- Mere “Isolationism”: The Foreign Policy of the “Old Right”
- The Amputated Mandate
- The Reason Foundation
- Colombia: Background, U.S. Relations, and Congressional Interest
- The Terrorist Next Door: The Militia Movement and the Radical Right