1. A 2014 study by the Max Planck Institute found that men who frequently view pornography have decreased brain cells, specifically in the right caudate of the brain, making their brains smaller on average than those of men who do not view pornography.
2. According to the Huffington Post, 30 percent of the material streamed on the internet is pornography.
3. Additionally, the Huffington Post also states that in 2013, the porn site YouPorn streamed six times the bandwidth of Hulu.
4. Pornography has been shown to increase marital infidelity by 300 percent, according to a 2004 study in Social Science Quarterly.
5. Men who view pornography are more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction than men who do not use pornography, according to researchers from the Naval Medical Center of San Diego.
6. Among men between the ages of 18 and 24, 70 percent visit internet porn sites at least once per month as stated by United Families.
7. Though many people use porn to “relax” or “relieve stress,” it can cause more mental health issues in both men and women, according to a study published in 2013 by researchers in the University of New Orleans’ psychology department. These include anxiety, depression, insecurity, and body image issues, to name a few.
8. Though many porn users begin using porn which aligns with their morals and sexual tastes, porn, over time, has the ability to alter sexual tastes so that the users believe the acquired tastes are natural. Thus, porn essential rewires the brain with frequent use, according to a study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health in 2000.
9. Porn users who are addicted to porn have damaged and shrunken frontal lobes, according to this 2013 study published on the National Institute of Health’s website. This can impede problem-solving abilities, researchers said.
10. Both the Department of Justice and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children say that pornography is a serious problem.
11. Studies report that people who use porn feel less love for their spouse/partner and are more dissatisfied with their spouse/partner than people who do not use porn, according to the psychology department at the University of Arkansas.
12. Despite the high numbers of people who use porn, only 29 percent of Americans think that using porn is moral. Some 23 percent of women say that using porn is moral, compared to 35 percent of men. The numbers come from a study conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute.
13. It is estimated that between 66 percent and 99 percent of people in the porn industry have herpes, as stated by this former porn star. In addition, she says the industry is rife with physical abuse.
14. One in three women use pornography at least once per week, according to a study conducted by Marie Claire.
15. The porn industry is very profitable, as stated by List25. It makes more than the NFL, the NBA, and the MLB combined. From a news perspective, it makes more than NBC, CBS, and ABC combined.
16. Studies have shown, according to Focus on the Family, that the average age at which a child is exposed to pornography is eight years old.
17. Every day, there are 116,000 searches for child pornography, according to United Families.
18. The more people use pornography, the more likely they are to believe that violence against women is acceptable, research suggests. The study which drew this conclusion also noted an increase in overall aggression that came with pornography use.
19. Pornography websites receive more traffic and visitors every month than Netflix, Twitter, and Amazon combined, the Huffington Post reported.
20. People who view porn regularly are less likely to get married than those who do not. This is because users see porn as a substitute for marital sexual gratification, according to a 2016 study published in the Eastern Economic Journal.
[Image credit: Voltage Pictures | Don Jon (2013)]
Jesse Bier is a professor of English at the University of Montana in Missoula.